9.12.2008

Nose It All

I'm in an Early Christian History class this semester. It's required for everyone. Not that it's terrible or anything, it's just not very exciting.

I don't really know anyone else in the class, so really the only major activity I have each week is finding a random place to sit.

This week after class I was fortunate enough to be stopped by another classmate. We just became group members for the semester and as we talked he stopped me mid-sentence and said, "Listen, this might be a strange question, so I really hope you don't take offense to this, but, do you have any Jewish in you? Are you Jewish??"

I lowered my head in full knowledge of what he was referring to.
"It's my nose, isn't it?" I said.

"I had to ask," He replied.

To be honest, even I'm not really sure, but somewhere down my family line there has to be a guy with a huge shnoz and I just haven't seen him. The fact of the matter is, there must be some explanation for why I easily have the biggest nose in my family.

This actually isn't the first time this has happened.
I distinctly remember a time in my high school French class in which a student sitting in front of me turned around with the sole purpose of saying, "You have the epidemy of a Jewish nose." Only to turn around the next moment.

I don't take offense to it, but it certainly does cause me to look in the mirror.

After all, I'm pretty sure my nose got me a few lines when I auditioned for my high school musical Fiddler On The Roof.

My Nose Is Bigger

Some people don't necessarily know what it's like to always have a small portion of your vision dedicated to your own nose. I can always see it, even without focusing. There is always a ghost image of my nose somewhere in front of me.

The sad news? Apparently the nose keeps growing.
So what does that mean for me? Will I be nothing but a nose head one day? Will I be blinded by my own nose?
Only time will tell.

Oy vey...

No comments: