10.16.2008

Aminals

My week has been chock full of work, classes, and midterm exams. It's a lot to prepare for, and with no time to lose I've been cramming in plenty episodes of Planet Earth.
This Sunday I practically had an unintentional marathon of it. It was mainly unintentional because the show becomes so hypnotic after a while that Sigourney Weaver's voice lulls me into a near comatose state whist a steady stream of saliva drips out of my mouth. It also looks pretty.

But if there's one lesson to be gleaned from Planet Earth, that lesson would be that it sucks to be an animal.
In fact, nearly every animal featured is accompanied by a voice-over noting how this particular animal, after struggling to do something completely pointless, will die. Almost every animal, Sigourney Weaver tells me, will die, and it's probably because of me.

Dang.
I feel like I need to apologize to a Koala or a Polar Bear.

On the other hand, every once and a while Planet Earth will show an animal which really has no business still being alive. In fact, the world would probably be a slightly less retarded place if they didn't exist in the first place. It's these animals that I cherish most of all. They stand in the face of Darwinism and say, "cqrfhqurebgvpq" which is retarded for "I shouldn't probably exist, but I do anyway."
It is in one of these creatures that I found my spirit animal.



The Bacterian Camels of the Gobi desert.
They're basically versions of Chewbacca from Star Wars, with humps and a tail which they use to continually whip their butts with to display their affection for the fairer sex. So much like us.
They also periodically squeal a low-pitched barking noise.

They also can smell humans from miles away and are practically impossible to find.

Yet Planet Earth has them.

And you can watch them.

Here: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/planet-earth-camels-of-the-gobi-desert/1113770616

Glorious.

No comments: