4.08.2009

RIP Possum 04/08/09

When I saw the possum in the middle of the road my heart said stop but my foot said go faster. The foot won. The possum, sadly, lost.



I didn't know you, possum. But if I did I think we would've made great friends.

Sure, I do like to think that you had rabies and in a way I did a good thing by abruptly ending your life when I was heading home from a concert late last night, but you were a possum and that means something. In my defense, I first thought you were a plastic bag or some piece of garbage out on the road.

Although I am secretly relieved you weren't something cuter like a cat, dog, or even any other rodent, I can't help but feel sorry for you.
I'm sorry possum. But I have to ask, what were you thinking when you were out there on Imperial Highway? You must've seen me from about a mile away. How could you be so blind?

Just so you know, it's been a rough year for all of us, and this loss is one more to add to the list. On the bright side I will see to it that you'll forever be remembered as a great actor, and who knows, maybe you'll get an Oscar come award season.



Isn't that the greatest gift of all? I mean, besides life? Because I certainly can't give you that one back. No siree. My car jumped about a half-foot into the air when you met your demise.

I just don't want you to think I wasn't affected in all this. I remember the moment just before we first met. Beth yelled "It's a POSSUM!!!" and I screamed too while desperately trying to maneuver around you and slamming my foot down on the accelerator. Good times.

Well, I suppose now we should part ways. Farewell my friend. You will be missed...

No comments: