11.22.2008

Right Now

I'm in Oakland California. If you're wondering why, it's because I'm in the middle of a connecting flight to D.C. for thanksgiving break.
There are a lot of really important things I learned today, and one of them is that Oakland California is a place that actually exists. I've heard of it before, but now I know for certain. Oakland is in fact, a real life location. It's also further North, and is cold.
I wish I could tell you more about this place, but all I know is what I have managed to gather since walking into the terminal. There are pictures on the wall of snowboarders, so I assume there must be winter sports held in the area, although I could be mistaken. What I do know, however, is that the Starbucks next to my gate is closed. Although I don't drink coffee, I take this to mean that Oakland is a town of simple folk who carefully limit their caffeine intake. Good for them.
Here is their state flag:

Is it a green tree? or a massive nuclear explosion?
The mystery continues, yet I say it's the latter.

Perhaps a random quote from Wikipedia can shine a light on this dilemma...

120 murders recorded in 2007 made Oakland's murder rate third highest in California, behind Richmond and Compton; however, Oakland suffered rape and robbery rates per capita that were almost twice those of Richmond and Compton, making Oakland's violent crime rate the highest overall. In the Morgan Quitno's "Most Dangerous Cities of 2007," Oakland was ranked 4th most dangerous in the nation behind Detroit, St. Louis, and Flint, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd most dangerous cities in the nation, respectively.


Hmmm. Yeah. Nuclear explosion. Most definitely.

No comments: