3.04.2008

Of Lost Time Machines

Sorry for all the sporadic updates, this week is chock-full of midterms (see Half-Life post below) so I've had a hard time getting to the compooter without feeling guilty for not studying.
One thing I've realized this past week is that I'm not terribly blessed when it comes to math. If it was my only that one class, maybe I could do well, maybe. But with eighteen units it's just too much for me. Actually it's all too much for me. What I fear is that this unfortunate mathematical disability leaves me incapable to complete one of my life goals.
That goal of course being to finish my time machine.


I was really looking forward to punching a T-Rex in the face, but apparently (according to some engineers out there) this would require a sufficient amount of number crunching to accomplish.
It's a real shame.
That is of course unless I can think of some non-mathematical option, and/or just wait for someone else to do it and then time travel back to me with a cheat-sheet. Which I'm sure I can, will, and already have done.
I guess you can say that's my master plan.
I am going to cheat my way into the future.
Sure, this will most definitely result in a time paradox, causing a rift in the space-time-continuum and in turn result in the implosion of the known universe. But I am going to punch that T-Rex in the face if it's the last thing I do.

This naturally brings me to my second favorite subject.
LOST.
That's right Brotha!
If you've seen the latest episode of LOST, you probably already know that I thought it was the best thing since LOST was created. Which logically makes it the best thing ever. This is mainly because it too was entirely about time-travel.
Now, if you look at the left-hand profile, you'll see that my favorite past-time is exploiting holes in time-travel movies. So you better strap yourself in as I run down what I saw in the latest episode of LOST in the most nerdy fashion ever.

Basically, Desmond undergoes what Dan Faraday calls "cognitive time-travel," a theory in which Desmond mentally travels back in time. It's kind of like memory, except he can actually affect past events.
I've thought of this idea before and even had a vivid dream where I was convinced, even after waking up, that it was possible. Unfortunately, it just isn't. Obviously, mental time travel is possible. It's called remembering. Messing around with those memories is usually the result of a disorder. In the episode though, Desmond's time-travel actions have already affected events in Dan Faraday's life, as was exemplified with the notebook writing at the end. Clearly, if you're messing around with other people's past's and physically altering the future, it isn't just cognitive time-travelling anymore but physical. So unless Dan was imagining it, the whole "cognitive" theory goes out the window.
Furthermore, Dan, the physicist, suggests to Desmond that he should find past Dan and give him the numbers necessary to get his time-machine contraption working. This proves sucessful for Desmond, but this would appear to create a time-paradox. If Desmond gave Dan the numbers, then Dan would never have had the opportunity to figure out how to make a time-machine in the first place. This would be the equivelant of me coming back with my future cheat-sheet. Essentially, the time-machine would have created itself and would continue to exist endlessly in a repeating cycle.
I liked how Dan mentions that the lab rat probably died as a result of living too long in the past. This mental vs. physical age has always fascinated me. It makes the later part of the episode, where a fellow time-traveller dies, much more interesting. He dies suddenly within a matter of minutes, but in theory he could have mentally been living a hundred years. This would explain his last words, "I can't get back."
Now for Dan being unable to remember Desmond in the first place. I think they were hinting at Dan's poor memory earlier with his poor test-taking skills with the cards on the beach.
AND WHAT DO THE NUMBERS MEAN?!?!?!

Sorry, I got... LOST there a minute. Mwahaha.
Of course, I fully expect the show not to answer any of these questions. Ever. In fact, they'll probably answer these questions by throwing even more implausible crazy crap at us. Which is just fine by me, because that seriously was the best episode of the series.

Oh, I have French class now...

No comments: